HCoop distributes many kinds of works, including:
- Software packages
- Small scripts and example programs
- Software documentation
- The main website, both text and associated artwork
- The board website, including meeting minutes and logs
- Databases, logs, and software configuration data
- Mailing list archives
- Miscellaneous wiki pages
- Miscellaneous files in AFS space
- Weblog entries by members, if the planet is made official
Most works we distribute, with the exception of software packages, are not released under free licenses. This is probably accidental for the most part, but it's nonetheless inconsistent with free-culture principles and with the cooperative principles by which we operate. For example, another coop using our software infrastructure would need to write their own domtool documentation, because the manual we publish is non-free.
We should, therefore, adopt a licensing policy that specifies what works should be freely licensed and what free licenses are acceptable.