HCoop is running a closed registration Jabber server.
We are using ejabberd with the PAM authentication method. This means that your Kerberos password is now your Jabber password, and that every HCoop member has an account.
We have file uploads enabled, allowing files up to 100MiB each with a 30 day auto-expiry and 1GiB quota. If you need to share larger files or for extended periods of time, you should be sharing it using the web server instead.
2. Client Setup
$USER refers to your HCoop username.
Please add info for any clients you use.
2.1. Logging in / Adding a New Account
Open the Preferences dialog (Adium->Preferences or Command-comma)
- Go to the "Accounts" section
- Select "Jabber" from the "+" menu in the lower-left corner
Enter "$USER@hcoop.net" in the "Jabber ID" field
- Enter your password in the "Password" field
- Click "OK"
2.1.2. Agile Messenger
- Add a new account of type "XMPP"
Enter "$USER@hcoop.net" as the username
- Enter your password
Note that your resource will be "Work" and you cannot change this (as far as I can tell)
2.1.3. Gaim / Pidgin
Open the Accounts dialog (Tools->Accounts or C-a)
- Add a new account
- Set the type to Jabber (in Gaim) or XMPP (in Pidgin)
Screen Name = $USER, Server = hcoop.net
Open the Settings dialog (Seetings->Configure)
- On the "Accounts" page click the "Add account" button
- In the wizard choose "Jabber" from the list then click "Next"
Now enter your jabber id in this form: $USER@hcoop.net and your password
- It will ask you to confirm the validity of the SSL certificate, click continue and you're done.
2.2. Changing Your Password
Since we use PAM now to change your password you must change your system wide password using the normal account password changing process.