1. The plan
- Migrate Hopper (secondary dns/kdc, spamd) onto fritz
- port fwtool from domtool1
- support Postgres 9.0 in dbtool
- replace mire with a new member machine
- clinton ports fwtool in the next 2-3 weeks
- darst browses dell or newegg and selects the new server (2-3 weeks)
- darst purchases, racks, and sets up OS on new server (3-4 weeks)
2. New Member Machine (NMM)
- Should take only a few hours to set up.
- darst's proposed OS setup plan
- Two disks (~1TB), raid1ed.
- LVM on top of that raid. Use 50GB or so for each machine only.
- kvm is used to virtualize machines on this machine. Each virtual machine has its disks in LVM and bridged ethernet, so it has its own disk public IP address. No kernel support or sharing is required. All of this is in Debian already.
- darst knows how to do all of these steps already, and could be more verbose here and provide exact config if desired.
- With this, the overhead for one additional VM is very small - we can give members their own VMs if they wanted.