notes to self about ssl
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
|* Webalizer||* (./) Webalizer|
1. Board Statements
2. Pages to Update After Adding Stripe
3. General Coop Goals
Unstructured musing on when/what I think the coop ought to be.
January 2013: New website online, navajos and bog both up with new members using them
February 2013->June 2014: Big push for new members. New website should make us seem more alive, we've finally fixed about 3/4 of the "temporary" hacks from when we first moved to Peer1, etc. mire is gone (less work: we just have to get people off of it), but also work toward getting rid of deleuze. Web services first (low hanging fruit), even if it means punting on fully converting to domtool managed sites (at least packaged and documented). AFAICT other than those we're just left with:
- April 2014: Rekey the afs cell
- July/August 2014: Catch the sales on the last generation Dell 2U/2-socket machines and create a clean counterpart to fritz.
- Minimal KVM host setup for base OS. We might run the KDC and OpenAFS on the bare metal, not entirely certain.
- Create new wheezy based VMs, duplicating (and turning into master) services hosted in VMs on fritz
- For the first time, this is realistic: all of those months packaging our configuration pay off by sparing future-me from herculean efforts.
March 2014->July 2014: Transition remaining services off of deleuze onto KernelVirtualMachines on new kvm host
- Winter 2014: Assuming 150+ members, perhaps more bandwidth is in order
- Spring 2015: Ponies for everyone.
IPv6, mediagoblin, diaspora, gitorious, xmpp works again (and ability to use vanity domains), ...
<clinton at unknownlamer dot org> (Email)
- unknownlamer (AOL Instant Messenger)
<clinton at hcoop dot net> (Jabber)
unknown_lamer on freenode (IRC) in #hcoop
- +1 443 538 8058 (Phone, SMS preffered)
6. Immediate Tasks
- Rekey the cell
Unsuck mail (bounces, DefaultAlias = user)
- Networked domtool-tail
- Possible donations for new server
- Backups (blocked by lack of hardware)
- Spec out new server
- Consolidate web stuff onto navajos
- Upgrade squirrelmail
- Can we support gssapi negotiate? Seems like it should be trivial on the server side.
7. Admin Stuff
7.1. fastcgi setup notes
Notes to self about configuring fastcgi for at least php
Depend on libapache2-mod-fcgid
a2enmod fcgid in postinst (the package seems to enable itself, but en/dis anyway)
Need to install our own mods-available/fcgid.conf
Do NOT enable fcgid-script script hander by default, require use of fastCgiExtension in DomTool
FcgidFixPathinfo 1 to let php work properly (seems to not affect anything else)
- Need to configure process limits (expire fairly quickly to prevent issues with tokens/memory exhaustion)
Have to write a wrapper shell script to exec php5-cgi, placed within /afs/hcoop.net/ (but where?)
Wrapper script needs to gain kerberos/afs credentials... but $USER is not available (whoami works however)
- suexec also wants the file to be owned by the user... hrm.
Mailing list posts elsewhere indicate fcgi workers are not allocated by the apache worker -- we might need to use an FCgidWrapper that grabs tokens and there may be token leakage from reuse of workers?
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives WSGI looks much easier to set up, at least enough for moin. We could get away with enabling it and supporting only WSGIScriptAlias initially. Not sure about interaction with mod_waklog.
7.2. Improve SSL Experience
- We are not managing certificates well
- e.g. we don't check and warn members when their certs are going to expire
- You have to use bugzilla/irc/email to get an intermediate certificate installed
DomTool's SSL support leaves much to be desired
No abstraction for setting up an ssl-only vhost that redirects http -> https
- No abstraction for creating an SSL+non-SSL host that serve the same content
- SSL type is problematic
e.g. sslCertificateChainFile is forced to soft-fail at run-time
use_cert takes a full pathname, it would be better to use a short name. There may be a case where a user may need to use a cert not in the primary store (is there?). If there can be no case made for domtool allowing certs to be stored outside of a single location, we can make use_cert just pass its argument through for transition. sslCertificateChainFile has no reason to take a full pathname and could directly take short names instead.
extern type your_cert; extern val cert : your_cert -> ssl_cert_path; (* SSL = use_cert (cert "mydomain.pem"); *) or: extern type your_cert; extern val cert : your_cert -> ssl; extern val use_cert : ssl -> ssl extern type ssl_cacert; extern val sslCertificateChainFile : ssl_cacert -> [Vhost]; (* sslCertificateChainFile "GandiStandadSSLCA.pem"; *)
The portal page should allow Intermediate CA Cert permission and installation requests. Installed CA certs should be presented as a drop-down showing the subject CN and file name.
The portal request page should display all certs a user is permitted to use already, their common name, and their expiration date.
=== Managing Certificates ====
Upon installation, certificates should be recorded in a database that stores (filename, type, subject, expiration) (where type = user | intermediate). Removal, naturally, should remove the database entry and files from all web servers.
This information could then be used to present information on a member's certs on the portal page, and make requesting CA certs easier.
default DirectoryIndex does not include index.shtml, should this be changed?
(create Website bugzilla product and move these there)
- Convert hcoop.net into domtool config (looks trivial, a few rewrites... except for userdir support?)
- On the topic of user dirs: allow members to register a redirect for hcoop.net/~foo?)
Perhaps: Move userdirs to http://users.hcoop.net/~foo (302ing from hcoop.net/~foo)
Replace 000default with something other than the hcoop web page?
- Replace facebook links with other "get to know the members" text
- Inspire members to join the planet
- Make the locations tool usable again (something we can use with Openstreetmap).
child pages macro for listing the section of the member manual in the sidebar?
7.5. domtool plans
- Feature backlog
- Networked domtool-tail
Enhance easy_domain DefaultAlias to default to user -> user, but also allow dropping all or catch-all.
default CSymbol = Value for binding default environment variable settings
Expands the scope of extensions that can be written in pure DomTool, slight flexibility gains
vmail helper for the portal VMailPasswdChange $user $oldpass $newpass (restricted to users with vmailadmin permissions)
Improve fwtool as needs become clearer (FirewallTool)
7.6. Major Sysadmin Tasks for 2014
- Acquire and install new server, cleaning up the back of the rack in the process
- Get everything off of deleuze
Clean up keytabs (at least $user.mail for mail delivery, sync to as few nodes as needed, etc.)
- Overhaul mail delivery
- Revisit routing/transport; the current routing config has too many entry and exit points making changes extremely complicated (i.e. likely to break mail delivery)
- Take advantage of new exim features like DKIM.
- Secondary MX
- The great DES to AES openafs rekeying
- ~~(Major pain: we have to upgrade all client and servers machines to openafs 1.6.5)~~
8. Board Stuff
- What address should we be using for the "owner" of hcoop services? It's a mix of the current treasurer, registered agent, and data center right now... is the registered agent correct? Do we need to get a PO Box or something?
- We need a private wiki of some sort for filing sensitive information like welcome emails for services and various credentials... is it safe enough to do that using the public moin and acls? I'm not sure sure...