gibran.hcoop.net is virtual machine at digital ocean that will become our primary afs server
It is named after the author Kahlil Gibran
1. Setup Notes
Or: things that need to go into Puppet
- set domain name to hcoop.net manually
need to review setup... hostname = gibran, using domain hcoop.net in resolv.conf, and 188.8.131.52 gibran.hcoop.net gibran in hosts (similar setup to other hcoop servers), but ... maybe we should just be leaving hosts alone and putting the fqdn into hostname ?
- original setup had "gibran.localdomain gibran 127.0.1.1"
removed joe (or at least update-alternatives editor to either vim or emacs...)
- root has basic emacs config for puppet-mode and melpa (probably no need to formalize that...)
- manually installed libnss-afs
- default "cloud-config" system may be active, check license and remove if it is non-free
looks like it might just be https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CloudInit which would make it acceptable to keep in place
2. AFS Setup Notes
- Not sure we want to link /etc/openafs/CellServDB to /etc/openafs/server/CellServDB or not
- downside: client ignores dns, upside: client works if dns is down
- Left client CellServDB separate for the time being
- will openafs be smart enough find fileservers on private interfaces?
- if not, local aliases in hosts? any way to achieve this? (private networking is unbilling, so ideally we will take advantage of it)
vos listaddrs showed private interfaces so seems like clients might be able to auto home?